Interesting Facts About Lighting
- There are many sub-standard light types being sold onto the Australian market that do not meet MEPS (The Australian Government’s Minimum Energy Performance Standards) on lighting. Blue Green Engineering only sells compliant and quality products to their customers.
- Many lighting fixtures incorporate additional electronic equipment, called ballasts or drivers. This ‘hidden’ equipment consumes energy that is sometimes quite significant. For example, our engineers have found that in some cases the energy consumption of a 36w fluorescent light can exceed 100w. All Blue Green Engineering lighting solutions take into consideration and address these hidden energy costs.
- Some lighting replacements that have been made by customers themselves achieve the primary aim of saving energy but unfortunately also reduce lighting levels. Hence, the ratio of light versus energy consumption is not an improvement on the original lighting system.
- Many people in the retail sector strongly believe that high lighting levels increase sales. Blue Green Engineering takes this belief into consideration. As a result, we use light fittings and technologies that reduce energy consumption while maintaining or improve on existing lighting levels.
- Burnt out or failing fluorescent tubes should be removed immediately because they consume more energy than ‘healthy’ light tubes.
- Having a maintenance plan for cleaning diffusers on light fittings can significantly improve lighting levels.
- Lights emit heat. Low energy lighting produces less heat and reduces the energy consumption of air-conditioned buildings.